The Conservators Center said the lion had gotten out of its enclosure on Sunday while a keeper was carrying out a routine clean.
In a statement, the zoo park – which takes guests on up-close tours of big cats, wolves and other animals – said the lion had been killed to ensure the body of the worker – Alexandra Black – could be retrieved.
Force leaders to hold election debates
More than 130,000 people have signed our petition – have you?
“The Conservators Center is devastated by the loss of a human life today,” it said.
“While a husbandry team led by a professionally trained animal keeper was carrying out routine enclosure cleaning, one of the lions somehow left a locked space and entered the space the humans were in and quickly killed one person.
“It is unclear at this time how the lion left the locked enclosure.”
Police said Ms Black, 22, was from New Palestine in Indiana and was a recent graduate of Indiana State University.
She was a college intern and had only been employed at the centre for about two weeks.
- Weekends entertainment videos from various channels and websites
- The UNHCR is grateful to the fact that, Saudi Arabian lady not deported
- About 50 MP’s write to Met Police chief over ‘Nazi’ abuse
- Yann Moix ‘French author says women over 50 are too old to love
- Soulja Boy in car crash after Malibu mudslides and flash floods