The sad filmiming of the killing of Scandinavia tourist and her friend in Morroco

Family who replaced carpets in £2.6m Kensington flat with wooden floors causing ‘constant’ noise for downstairs neighbour as children ran around must pay her £100,000 after losing appeal

ISIS supporters have widely circulated video of gruesome killing in Morocco
The chilling footage was yesterday verified as genuine by Danish intelligence
Louisa Vesterager Jespersen and Maren Ueland were found dead on Monday

Official ‘says clip was sent by private messenger to Ms Jespersen’s friends’
Gruesome images were also posted on Facebook page of Ms Ueland’s mother
Nine more held over killings bringing total number of suspects in the case to 13

Horrific images showing one of the murdered Scandinavian tourists being beheaded in Morocco have been sent to a victim’s mother, it has emerged.

ISIS fanatics gloated about the killing of Dane Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24, and Norwegian Maren Ueland, 28, by spreading the gruesome footage on social media.

The clip, in which a suspected ISIS terrorist shouts ‘it’s Allah’s will’, was also sent to friends of Ms Jespersen via ‘private messenger’, it has been claimed.

It has since been revealed that horrific images of the slain tourists have been posted on the Facebook page of Ms Ueland’s mother Irene. Some Moroccans bizarrely posted the images in a misguided bid to express sympathy along with calls for the killers to be executed.

Earlier, it was claimed that footage itself had been sent to friends of Ms Jespersen. While it is not clear exactly who sent them the footage, there will be strong suspicions it would have been from warped ISIS sympathisers.

Louisa Vesterager Jespersen

Maren Ueland
Online footage has emerged showing four men suspected of launching the attack pledging their alliance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. One of them can be seen brandishing a knife
Rachid Afatti (left), Ouziad Younes (centre), and Ejjoud Abdessamad (right), the three suspects in the gruesome murder of two Scandinavian hikers
Louisa Vesterager Jespersen
Ms Ueland’s mother told the media both girls has taken safety measures before going on their backpacking trip to Morocco over the festive period
A picture has emerged showing a series of large knives found on a bus when the suspected killers were arrested
It is possible the attackers may have seized Ms Jespersen’s phone, giving them access to her contacts.

Ms Jespersen and Ms Ueland were found dead near the village of Imlil in Morocco’s High Atlas mountains.

New York Times correspondent Rukmini Callimachi tweeted: ‘A European official close to the investigation confirmed that the beheading video was sent by private messenger to friends of the killed Danish woman by unknown senders who appeared to have Moroccan profiles. Police is investigating.’

Moroccan investigators say those arrested were carrying arms and ‘suspicious materials’ used in making explosives.

Earlier today, the bodies of the two young Scandinavian hikers were flown to Copenhagen.

The remains of the two friends were put on the same plane that left Casablanca for the Danish capital, a police spokesman said.

In the video, the perpetrators can be heard saying the murders were revenge for air strikes carried out by Western bombing missions in war-torn Syria.

‘This is for Syria, here are the heads of your Gods,’ a man can be heard saying, as well as ‘this is in revenge for our brothers in Hajin’.

The bodies of the two young Scandinavian hikers were flown to Copenhagen today. Pictured: a truck carrying the remains leaves a morgue in the capital Marrakesh for the airport
Villagers are pictured at the scene a day after the bodies were discovered in an isolated mountainous area
Hajin is a city in eastern Syria that was controlled by ISIS until coalition-backed forces reclaimed it this week.

While ISIS has not yet claimed responsibility for the young women’s murders, its supporters have taken to social media to celebrate them.

ADVERTISEMENT

The video of the killing has been widely shared on social media. Norwegian police said today that it was probably authentic.

Fears for Morocco’s key tourism sector after brutal ‘ISIS’ killings
Morocco is generally considered safe for tourists with the lucrative sector accounting for 10 per cent of national income.

But the country has battled with Islamic extremism for years and more than a thousand Moroccans are believed to have joined ISIS.

The brutal killings on Monday have sparked fears of a hit to Morocco’s crucial tourist industry.

There were 10.3 million tourist arrivals in 2017 – mostly Europeans – with 2 million flocking to Marrakesh alone making the country Africa’s top tourist destination last year.

The kingdom’s relative security has always been a major selling point along with its warm climate, art, culture, beaches and culinary offerings.

But leading news website Medias 24 said today: ‘What most of us had feared – that is to say a terrorist angle to the double crime in the region of Imlil, has been confirmed. Shock, sadness and revulsion are perceptible in Morocco.’

Traumatised by the murders, residents in the village where the atrocity took place, are deeply fearful for their livelihoods, a tourism sector source told AFP.

Morocco has been spared jihadist attacks since 2011, when a bomb attack on a cafe in Marrakesh’s famed Jamaa El Fna Square killed 17 people, most of them European tourists.

An attack in the North African state’s financial capital Casablanca killed 33 people in 2003.

‘When it comes to the assessment of the video that purportedly shows the killings, there is still a certain amount of technical analysis and assessment to be done,’ Norway’s National Crime Investigation Service said in a statement.

‘We still believe, however, that we have grounds to say that so far, there is nothing concrete to show that this video is not real.’

Websites such as Twitter and YouTube have been working as quickly as possible to remove clips as soon as they appear.

Social media companies use a shared database which logs the digital footprints of extremist material so that it can be taken down more quickly and platforms can be notified if someone tries to re-upload it.

They also have internal tools, often using artificial intelligence, to flag up potentially extremist material for review by human analyists.

A Twitter spokesman said it has suspended 205,156 accounts under its counter-terrorism policy between January and June this year, 91% of which were ‘proactively flagged by internal, proprietary tools’.

‘Government reports now constitute less than 0.1% of all suspensions in the reported time period as a result of the scale of our technological approach,’ he added.

A police source told Reuters that the video appeared to have been shot in a different place from where the bodies were found.

Meanwhile, the Danish intelligence service yesterday confirmed its authenticity and said it can be connected to ISIS.

The video is in the same style as those previously released by the terrorist group showing the decapitating of blindfolded Western hostages.

It is believed to have been shot on a mobile phone.

‘The video and preliminary investigation according to the Moroccan authorities indicate that the killings may be related to the terrorist organisation Islamic State,’ the Danish intelligence service said in a statement.

Ms Ueland and Ms Vesterager Jespersen were spotted with three men in Marrakesh before heading to the Atlas mountains to hike.

ISIS fanatics sent a horrific video of a Scandinavian tourist being beheaded directly to her friends and gloated about her killing in Morocco, it has been claimed. Police officers next to a tent at the scene of a crime where the bodies of two Scandinavian women were found on Monday
Moroccan police have arrested three suspects at a bus station in Marrakesh, after a trader alerted authorities when he saw the knives they were carrying.

Police boarded the bus and seized four knives, including blades of machete size, as the bus was leaving to travel to the southern seaside town of Agadir.

Separate footage has also emerged showing men suspected of carrying out the attack pledging their alliance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

Sitting in front of a black and white flag, one is seen brandishing a knife as they condemn ‘destruction caused by the warplanes of the Crusader alliance’.

They also appear to taunt Morocco’s intelligence service, saying ‘where is your knowledge? For here we are…’

How do tech giants keep extremist content off their platforms?
Big technology companies such as Google, Facebook and Twitter have come under increasing pressure in recent years from politicians to banish terrorist content and propaganda that may be fueling recruitment online.

Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter and YouTube announced in 2016 that they were joining forces to more quickly identify the worst terrorist propaganda and prevent it from spreading online by creating a database of unique digital ‘fingerprints’ to help automatically identify extreme videos or images.

Under the initiative, if one of the four social media giants removes a piece of content from its platform that has violated its terrorism policy, then the content’s unique ‘hash’ or ‘fingerprint’ will enter the shared database.

If someone then attempts to upload the same image or picture to another website, it will be automatically flagged as having been in the database and reviewed, and possibly removed, by a human.

In February this year the Home Office announced a new artificial intelligence program that is able to detect extremist propaganda online with a 94% success rate.

The programme works by analyzing audio and image stills from a video file as it is being uploaded. If it detects any extremist material, the file won’t be posted to the platform.

The AI tool was trained by being fed more than 1,000 Isis videos and learning their recurring visual and audio patterns.

See more top stories from DailyMail
20k
shares
Comments
MOST READ NEWS
Gatwick runway reopens and ‘limited’ flights resume amid drone chaos but thousands of passengers…

Gatwick beats the drone: Army thwarts NEW attack with flights able to resume just 80 minutes after…

‘Every parent’s worst nightmare’: Heartbroken father wakes to find baby son dead in his arms just…

Christmas revellers enjoy a drunken night on the tiles as party season gets into full swing… but…

”I’m the man who nearly lost £76 MILLION’: Builder, 51, who took six weeks to claim lottery jackpot…

ISIS beheading image was sent to victim’s MOTHER: Fanatics ‘gloated about filming the killing of…

Two British children are stranded 11,000 miles away in New Zealand for Christmas after head-on…

Russian MMA fighter is jailed for 18 years for killing a weightlifter in a bare-knuckle brawl about…

Who is the drone maniac? Police will be hunting a PhD-educated climate activist – possibly a hacker…

A HANDY guide to the Royals’ true personalities: The Duchess of Cambridge’s perfectly poised clutch,…

Notorious YouTube prankster, 21, banned from theme parks across the UK claims HE is behind Gatwick…

Mother is accused of shooting dead her 14-year-old daughter who was calling 911 because she’d…

What do you mean you missed it? From exotic assassins to beefy bodyguards, 2018 was the year the…

What’s so special about the Special One’s £600,000 hotel suite? That’s the bill Jose Mourinho ran up…

‘You killed my f***ing daughter, you’re scum!’ Devastated father hurls abuse at City banker who…

Ex-wife who first met her tycoon husband when she worked in his factory aged 23 loses fight too.